How To Win At Blackjack With Card Counting
1. What is card counting?
Card counting is a way to keep track of the cards that have already been dealt and use this information to make better decisions about when to bet and how much to bet.
Card counters are betting more when they are ahead in the count, and less or not at all when they are behind.
The goal is not to beat the casino in every hand, but rather to achieve a small advantage over time by betting when you have a slight edge over the casino.
2. How does card counting work?
Card counting is a technique that allows players to increase their odds of winning at certain casino games, with Blackjack being one of the most popular
Card counting can be done by keeping track of the cards dealt and using a card counting strategy to keep an estimate of the ratio of high cards to low cards remaining in the deck.
There are many different types of card counting strategies, all with different advantages and disadvantages. The most popular ones are called Hi-Lo, Zenith, and Five Count.
3. Card counting systems and techniques
Some card counting systems are more successful than others, with some being considered "player-friendly" and others "unfair." The most popular card counting system is Hi-Lo, which assigns values to the cards so a count of the total can be kept. The system was created by Edward O. Thorp in the 1960s.
The Hi-Lo card counting system, created by Edward O. Thorp in the 1960s, assigned minus -9 to the 10 cards and and a value of +4 to all other cards. This gave a very basic system where by the higher the count, the better the chance the player had. Thorpe eventually went on to write a book explaining his system and exploits.
Julian Braun read this book and decided to perfect the system by running it through an early IBM mainframe millions of times and making adjustments and monitoring the results. The result was a more refined and profitable system whereby:
- 2 to 6 = +1
- 7 to 9 = 0
- 10 to Ace = -1
Like the previous system the higher the count the more chance the player had of winning and thus should increase their stakes or hands played at the table.
4. Pros and cons of card counting
Advantages of card counting:
- Helps understand the probability of the next hand being advantageous to the player.
- Allows a player to know when to increase bets and when to decrease bets.
- Can be used in blackjack, baccarat, and poker.
Disadvantages of card count:
- Requires a lot of practice before it can be done well.
- Easy to spot by a trained pit boss, as you would be required to regularly skip hands or bet very small and very large amounts at different times
- Casino’s both online and offline now often use multiple decks and regular shuffling to water down the affect of card counting. Although you should still gain a slight advantage over just playing the cards “blind” regardless of the size of the shoe.
5. Is it legal to count cards in a casino?
In most countries and casinos it’s not illegal as long as you are only using your brain and no hidden gadgets to help. However, if you are spotted card counting and they deem you to be beating the house, you won’t be welcome for very long.